Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Homeschooling Highs and Lows...

I'm so excited right now! My little one has started to read English, and we have been writing English sentences together. Wow! I don't think I could do that after only 3 months here. We go to the library a lot. She loves to get Chinese books from the Fullerton Library and English readers from the Yorba Linda Library. I'm so proud of her. She has had a consistently better attitude towards her schoolwork. I was very discouraged at the beginning of this month, because we had some major setbacks with her behavior. She would throw temper tantrums over little to nothing. It was getting to the point where we were having daily episodes. She would be very happy and loving one moment, then be mad and stonewall the next. I felt like my head was spinning. I hear this is normal and is a sign of mourning the loss of everything she knows in Taiwan, but it has been hard. This last week or two have been so much better, and I'm starting to relax again, although I'm nervous to do so.

One very special moment to me though was when we were trying to find the Fullerton Library. My navigation system took us to a smaller library in Fullerton first, called Hunts Library (I think). We were surprised to find it closed and many homeless people were encamped around it. Trina asked me who all these people were and why they were sleeping there. I explained the best I could. My girl then had the wonderful idea of bringing them food, so the following week we went shopping together and fed about a dozen homeless people there. She wants to do it every week, but it is a very hard time financially for us right now. I told her we could do it once a month. I am so blessed by her heart to do this. I think we have found a new ministry together, although she has asked to have some of them move in with us. This protective mama bear drew the line at that one.

Anyways, that's the latest scoop on Trina.

2 comments:

  1. Hey friend...such a great update! You are right...it's all normal and actually a good sign :) She needs to be able to grieve and move forward. I'm so proud of you for your unconditional love and understanding of her. You guys are incredible parents!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a big heart she has! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete