Thursday, February 3, 2011

Happy Chinese New Year, Jing-Qi!

Well, I know she can't read this yet, but she is in my thoughts this Chinese New Year. It has been fun to learn about a holiday that is probably quite special to her. I went to a chinese market to purchase a hong bao (a red money envelope given to children on New Year's day) and was excited when I could pick out a couple words in Mandarin from other customers. I could recognize the word for hat and the word for computer. OK, so I have a long way to go. At least, I will be able to better empathize with her struggles learning a new language when she comes. I filled the envelope with 8 US coins that amounted to 88 cents. I hear multiple eights are good numbers in Taiwan. Sam tells me that 8 is the number for new beginnings. How perfect! Having just signed the adoption agreement a couple days ago, this Chinese New Year is an interesting time to reflect on the year's possibilities. I so hope to have our daughter home soon, and to my Jing-Qi, I hope she will discover the unconditional love of family in the new year. Please continue to pray for our adoption process. I, of course, am hoping for a fast judge, but it is comforting to know that my Lord knows the future and will bring our daughter home to us at just the perfect time. Happy new year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment